A late flowering Christmas tree…

at Stourhead.

Advertisements

This morning

I’m getting close to the bottom of the piece of fabric I’m currently using for the sampler, so I went into Granny’s Messy Room to find some more. I hauled out the tub in which I keep embroidery fabrics, and tipped out the contents, which was the easiest way to find what I wanted.

At this point I realised two things:

1. The tub had several holes in the bottom

2. There was stuff in there I am never going to use.

To cut a long story short, this led to a sort out of not only the embroidery fabric, but also of my tub of sheer fabrics and my tub of felt. (The other tubs of fabric and of WIPs can wait.) The stash of embroidery fabric is now considerably reduced, so it fits in a bag, my waste bin is full, and the broken tub contains a a lot of fabric to go on Freecycle in the new year.

I binned some ‘works in progress’ which I will never finish, and even some finished ones. That led to me pondering on my approach to working in textiles, which has always been more process than product oriented. I do finish things, but I’ve usually had a problem with what to do with them. Framing is expensive if professionally done, and clumsy if I do it – and in any case we’ve run out of wall space. That’s one of the reasons I have made books and bags – but you can have too many of those as well.

As I have mentioned several times, I have a low boredom threshold. I get fed up if something takes too long and start rushing it, it becomes slapdash and then I’m dissatisfied with the result, but I can’t be bothered to put it right.

Which is why, of course, I have always preferred making samples to finished work. It is also why I have cupboards full of stuff I bought to try out new techniques, which have either never been used, or used once and shoved in a drawer. Which is why when, in the New Year, I start to destash (because we are definitely going to downsize in 2018), I am going to have a lot of decisions to make.