Page Two

of the four (so far) pages of my sample book. Still straight stitch. 

Things I learned:

1. If you are using a thick or awkward thread, like  bouclé or chenille, use a bigger needle than you think you need. You need a big hole to get the thread through without shredding it.

2. Being determined to use something, (like that ribbon in the final sample) is a bad thing. Someone once said to me, if I design isn’t working, take the thing you like best out. They were right. 

3. Making stitches over a pencil is fun, and the results seem more resilient than I thought they would be. Mind you, I wouldn’t do it on clothing.

4. Linen stays crumpled, no matter how often you press it.

5. I went off this colour scheme pretty quickly. But sampling is still fun.


Life goes on…

and if anything, our family problems are getting a little bit better. Progress was made at the end of last week, and that was good. However it will be a long time before everything is sorted out, and that’s depressing. The end of the beginning rather than the beginning of the end. We’re hoping for ‘all over by Christmas’ but I think it’s more likely to be Easter.

Rather than sitting around and brooding, I decided to post some thoughts about what I’m doing on here, more for my own benefit than for you, dear reader, assuming you exist. 

It was the middle of June when I first posted about the Sue Stone inspired samples I’d started.  Stone suggests you make rules for yourself , starting with selecting a few simple stitches to explore. I started with straight stitches – or what James Hunting, in Hand Stitch Perspectives, calls ‘the generic stitch of entry and exit of a needle through cloth’ – what must have been the ur-stitch of all sewing and embroidery stitches. 

Two months on and I think I have finally come to the end of my exploration of the ur-stitch, for now, at least – although I thought that last weekend, until I came up  with some more. As Stone suggests, I’ve mounted the samples to make a ‘book’, although the pages are currently bound with safety pins. I have made 36 samples in groups of 4, and 4 ‘resolved’  pieces – small experiments using the ideas from the samples. Each sample is 5cm x 5cm, the resolved pieces 10 x10.

The image at the top of the page shows the first page. I started by exploring vertical stitches, followed by diagonal, curving and random. (I didn’t bother with horizontal, on the grounds that they are just vertical stitches turned sideways.) As you can see I varied the threads I used, and the size and spacing of the stitches. I made some of them encroach. I didn’t layer them much in this first set, though I did later. And I had a wonderful time.

My favourites are the giant ones in hand dyed tape, despite the nasty colours, because of their sheer size. I also like the uneven rows of not-quite-satin-stitch, so much so that I used it in the resolved trees piece. I dislike the overlapping green squares, malformed and clumsy – and its three neighbours. I think the patterns they make are too dominant for my taste.

What have I learned so far?

1. Embroidery stops me brooding. This is good.

2. Keep it small, keep it simple. This is stress free and keeps me motivated. And it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t work, I can learn from it. 

3. Keep good notes. I haven’t always, and few of these early efforts needed many notes, but with some of the later ones  I had to write down what I’d done or I’d never remember. Stone records details like type of thread and shade number, which I haven’t done because I’m using stash and I don’t have that information in most cases. If I had a definite end in mind I would. Probably.

4. Following on from that, this is an excellent way to bust stash. The samples and book pages have already used up three large pieces of ‘wherever did that come from?’ fabric, and lots of oddments of thread that I didn’t have enough of to make anything else.

5. Including the resolved pieces in the mix makes me think about design as well. I’ve tried to build daily drawing and design work into the schedule but it hasn’t always worked. Partly lack of time, due to having two young children on holiday from school, coming here for half the week. Partly lack of energy, due to having two young children on holiday from school, coming here for half the week. Partly due to fear and lack of motivation. But I have done some – the small size helps.

5. It’s a good excuse to sit down with embroidery books and steal find ideas. I collect old Batsford embroidery books and I’ve been enjoying going through them again – and buying a few more. 

I’ve had enough of straight stitch for now, but I want to keep on and I’m looking forward to running stitch. (Oh, the excitement!)