Still here, still sampling. 

Plus some embroidery, and winding of balls. Of wool, you understand. And some photography. I’m fascinated by the reflections in our wet car, but it’s difficult to take photos without them turning into selfies. However the iPad conceals quite a lot.

These are the previous three samples, finally shrunk. The polypropylene ruffles on the left remind me of those wonderful chickens with amazingly feathered heads, which is probably why I’ve been sketching bottle-shaped SKOs with feather necks. 

You knew I was weird, I hope?

 This is the current sample – more polypropylene, but in loops and bulges this time. I got carried away with various ideas from Nicky Epstein’s  ‘Knitting Over the Edge’, but I think the loops are my favourite. 

This afternoon I’ve been balling up hanks of yarn for future SKOs. This is Airedale’s wonderful Poodle Super Gimp, which looks and smells nicely sheepy. (That’s not a criticism – I love the smell of real wool.) I have no idea how you would use this for conventional knitting, but I see stripes of it on an SKO in the future. Or the sides of an SKO. Who knows?

 I shall sample it to check needle size and see if it felts, though I suspect it will.

This, on the other hand, probably won’t, as it contains a high proportion of nylon. It was an irresistible bargain from my local Oxfam shop – 400gms for £3.96. I shall sample it just to confirm it doesn’t shrink, and then  probably space dye it for use as a non felting yarn with some all wool Aran. I think from the labelling and Google that it is getting on for 40 years old, but it seems in good condition- clean, and no sign of moth. 

And I’ve started a new Year of Stitches piece. I’ve decided that today will be my last day with the beige one, I really don’t like it, so why carry on?  New month, new start – though I jumped the gun a bit. This is an old bit of handdye, plus some hand-dyed and commercial threads – and one of my favourite sayings. I keep telling myself to work small but it doesn’t seem to happen.

Sampling, sampling, sampling.

This odd object is my latest (almost) finished sample – an exploration of oversized stitches and what to do with them. Those running in the direction of knitting were (deliberately) dropped stitches which I unravelled. The bands which go round the knitting are yarn overs. Before felting, I wove through some of the gaps, embroidered others, and left others as they were. I added some surface embroidery in some of the gaps.

Unfortunately the ribbons I wove through to resist the felting came out in the wash, but the holes haven’t completely closed up anyway, and I rather like the uneven effect. 

I shall add some more weaving before it’s finished, but there are already some ideas there to follow up. I like the dark blue band, woven with a thick twisted cord, the thick section where I wove with thick wool which has also felted, and a section on the bag where I worked simple running stitch in a thick yarn. 

As you can probably see, I’m working on different types of holes in the sample I’m working on now, on the right. The one on the left is the polypropylene one I wrote about last time. I shall stitch the edges of the polypropylene sections together to make tucks when I can work up the energy. I was going to knit them in as I went along but picking up the stitches was a little difficult, because the polypropylene is splitty. 

The Year of Stitches carries on. I am adding shisha mirrors to the black one, which has been a learning experience. I think it is close to being finished, although I may add some couching.

I can contain my enthusiasm for the other one: I’m not sure whether to carry on with it, or to abandon it and start something new. It has also been a learning experience – l learned that random colour schemes are not a good idea…

Life goes on.

There’s been lots of knitting since I last posted – including my fugly socks – so ugly that I photographed them in B&W to save you from the full horror of the colour scheme. But I normally wear them inside my slippers, and anyone who is close enough to see them will be grovelling at my feet, so I think I can get away with it.

My main Year of Stitches embroidery also demonstrates some horrible colour schemes – which is probably to be expected when you pick colours at random. When I studied colour theory for C&G embroidery, we were challenged to produce an ugly colour scheme. I found it quite difficult at the time – should have dawned on me that purple, yellow, orange and rust really don’t work together.

The threads for the one with a black background were carefully chosen, so, apart from the blue which reads as black, the colours are better.


I’ve finally finished the four Yorkshire Wildlife Trust vessels. I’d love to be able to use their wool for SKO’s, but I think it’s too fluffy for them – stitch patterns just vanish when felted. Might work for colour work, I suppose – which might be an excuse to buy some more. 


The before and after photos are of an SKO made from some left overs from the giant gloves – Berber rug wool from the much missed Texere yarns, although I think Airedale yarns sell it. I wasn’t sure how well it would felt, but it does so quite nicely – stands up well, but still plenty of stitch definition. (The odd colour of ‘before’ is because I photographed it in artificial light- ‘after’ is much more accurate.

I’ve got another experimental sample waiting to have some embroidery/weaving added to it before it goes in the wash, and one on the needles which has stripes of cream wool and fine black polypropylene. I kid you not, Airedale yarns sell it, and it’s softer than I expected, and quite easy to knit with, apart from being a bit splitty. We will see what happens when it meets the hot water.