Above is the SKO (Strange Knitted Object). This is a sampler of all the unlabelled yarn in my stash that I might want to use for the structures I’m making. I need to know if they felt – or in the case of the paper yarn in the middle of the sample, fall apart when wet. So tomorrow this will meet the washing machine, and we will find out what happens. I may be picking shredded paper yarn out of the washer, which will make a change from shredded tissues.
Below are the two latest MSEDs – (Making Something Every Day). No. 50 on the top, No.49 underneath. (I like being confusing.) Neither is terribly original for me, I’ve made cut paper mandalas and button necklaces before, but I was stuck for ideas, and I’d decided I needed a more colourful button necklace than my existing black and brown ones.
I’m now working on another SKO, this time with slightly odd ‘yarns’, like raffia, machine cord, and string. I know these are unlikely to shrink (apart, possibly from the string), what I want to know is whether any of the colours run.
Numbers 51, 53, 56, 57, 59 and 60: but not necessarily in that order.
This is not blurred, it’s a photo of shadows of translucent rulers. I’m not sure if that means they are not really shadows, but I like them anyway.
Nos. 52 and 54: 54 is a work in progress.
Strange Knitted Objects, that is. The multicoloured snake is the raffia and string sampler I threatened in my last post. None of the colours appear to have run, which surprised me rather, though I did omit the garden raffia which had already faded despite living in a drawer. I suppose it doesn’t matter if it fades in the garden, but why bother colouring it green if it is going to do so?
The reason there are now 3 SKOs is that this one did, as expected, come apart in the wash.
No, you cannot machine wash paper yarn.
Everything else has survived, and most of it has felted to some extent, apart from the rather nice but a bugger to knit bluey ‘mohair’ stuff at the left. On the other hand,the grey mohair at the left has felted very well, despite being blended with nylon.
There hasn’t been much knitting this week, due to exhaustion from high-intensity grandparenting and high tension cycle racing watching, but I have managed to finish this.
I’ve darned in the ends since I took the photo, so it will meet the washing machine next week. Since then I’ve cast on some green hand dye (third from right in the felted sample) which will probably be getting some random cables soon, if I can concentrate on anything so complex.
Making Something Every
Day Week Occasionally. Above is number 44, below is number 47. (I jump around depending on mood and inspiration.) As usual, I haven’t stuck precisely to the brief, preferring to use up stash when I can.
The mandala was also influenced by Esté MacLeod’s ‘Creative Leap’ on-line course, which is great if, like me, you lack confidence in drawing.
In other news, I have resumed my exploration of strange knitted objects. I have been trying out different ways of knitting a circle, starting from the middle, which is my preference. The method I used for this one gives you concentric rings separated by multiple increases, so I worked alternating circles in DK wool and a much finer slub cotton. It’s small because I only had a little bit of wool left, so I knitted till it ran out. Then I washed it, and it went all lumpy and bumpy – I think the cotton may have shrunk a bit as well.
I blocked it over the top of a jar, and Wensleydale suggested I made colour coded jar covers. He was joking. I think. I hope.
Despite its strangeness, I like it. Now to try out how big I can make one before it turns into a pancake.
This is also strange but likeable, despite looking like a decorative plant pot cover. Grey and white because I think the colour detracts from it, and it’s incredibly difficult to photograph – this was my third attempt. I have proved to my own satisfaction that you can felt knitted lace, even if it’s not very lacy. Now to find out how tall and how holey I can make one before it falls down – and how to get bigger holes.