Behold!

A knitted object which is not strange! In fact I really like it, thought I’m not sure about the rim. 

On the other hand – there’s this.


Which is definitely strange – and knitted. 

I can’t make my mind up where I want to go with my knitting. I love the vessels (when they work), but I have this feeling that they are ‘craft’, not ‘art’, and shouldn’t I be making art? (Whatever ‘art’ and ‘craft’ are.)  I think the small gloves are ‘art’, but I’ve been less happy with the small ones, and, on a practical basis, I think they are less likely to be saleable. I think I have to go on making both, until I come to a definite conclusion – or get bored, which is probably more likely. 

Three strange, experimental knitted objects.

1. The gnome’s hat above. This is probably the least successful of the three. I was underwhelmed by the idea anyway, and I’m even less whelmed now it’s finished. The experiment will not be repeated. 

I may try cutting it up to see if I can do anything with the fabric.


2. The strange knitted object (on the right). (OK, the one on the left is strange too.) I thought the blue one wouldn’t work but it has turned out better than I expected. I love the way the bouclé bubbles up, but I think there’s too much of it.

My attempt to add a base failed – I couldn’t get it to lie flat – so I washed it without one. It just about stands up on its own, which I wasn’t expecting. Both this and the gnome hat are about 35cm high after felting, which I think is about the maximum unsupported height I can hope for.


3. My favourite strange knitted object. Samples of all sorts of embroidery stitches, in red wool, red perlé, and white cotton, plus a quartet of more or less ridiculous trimmings. It’s given me lots of ideas, which is what it was all about.

My current experiments are into knitting a circular base, then knitting up. Watch this space.

Back to the Drawing Board 

This isn’t quite what I’d intended. After wrestling with 2-3 metre structures made with threaded rod, I’d hoped to dispense with armatures now I’m working smaller. Still, it’ll give my fabricator something to do.

This hasn’t quite gone to plan either. Somehow, having cast on 100 stitches, I ended up with 82. I think, given that the non-stubby bits of the blue cotton are about the thickness of sewing thread, I must have knitted a couple of stitches together here and there- I can’t spot any dropped ones. I’m adding a base, and then it will meet the washing machine. Then we’ll see how it stands up.

This is going according to plan, although I’m pretty underwhelmed by it. It’s not an overgrown pixie hat, it was inspired by some pointy ended wooden sculptures we saw. It may look better when it’s felted, but to look any good at all I think it would need lots of companions, and it is so boring to knit.


And this, which was completely off the cuff, I’m very pleased with. The most recent ‘Make Something Every Day’ prompt was to use yarn, which I found surprisingly challenging to decide on, because I wanted to do something different. Also I wanted to use some tiny samples of rather nice alpaca yarn that were too small for anything much. And I wanted it to be quick.

So – an I-cord necklace. There’s about 6 metres of it and it took one live broadcast of the Tour de France, plus the highlights programme, to make.


As you can see, it’s been apped in Prisma – just to make a grainy photo better, and not to camouflage my ageing neck, honest.